Green Lake Park was designed by the Olmsted Brothers between 1907 and 1912. It is located in the Green Lake neighborhood at 7201 E Greenlake Dr N, 98115. It is 323.7 acres.
John Charles Olmsted included Green Lake Park in his plan for Seattle's parks and boulevards system in 1903. It has been part of the park system since 1905 and has undergone a number of changes – including losing nearly 100 acres of lake to filling.
After creating a park and boulevard plan for the city, Olmsted returned to Seattle numerous times to create landscape designs for public and private projects. In 1908 he developed a preliminary plan for a park and parkway along the shores of Green Lake. His planned called for lowering the lake four feet and filling two lobes of the lake, one on the northeast corner of the lake near today's community center, and the other on the southeast corner, where the golf course is now.
The plan included a parkway encircling the park. He incorporated the streetcar tracks on the inland side of the parkway, a local access roadway, and a pleasure drive closer to the shore. Around the streetcar tracks he suggested the planting of trees and shrubs to limits its intrusions into the park experience. By adding fill along the east side of the lake, Olmsted wrote in the 1903 report, "These places will be valuable as local recreation grounds for the residents." He also recommended that two or three small islands could be constructed in the lake and planted with "masses of trees and shrubbery." While acknowledging that docks and boathouses could be built along the shore, Olmsted recommended that they only be allowed behind the islands so as not to obstruct the view across the open water.
The city eventually lowered Green Lake by seven feet, freeing up more parkland along the lakeshore. Over the next several decades, the park was developed largely according to the Olmsted plan. Much of the work was carried out by Works Progress Administration employment relief programs in the 1930s.