The land for Kinnear Park was a gift to the City by George and Angie C. Kinnear in 1887, and was only the second park property acquired by the City. The park encompasses 14 acres between W Olympic Place and originally extended to the beach at the foot of bluff; the park is now bounded on the south by W Mercer Pl. Improvements to the Park were made by the community with the assistance of the City crew starting in 1890.
The Olmsted Bros. report of 1903 reports that the Park had existing ‘symmetrical paths, green lawns, clusters of trees and shrubbery and flower beds’, along with native madrone tree that had a ‘beauty of color and wealth of foliage.’
The report comments that much of park is ‘so steep as to be unavailable, except to look over,’ but that the pleasing views over the Sound from the park were quite valuable. The report recommended that the Park should be re-designed with its own individuality, moving away from the ‘exotic character’ that had been added. They recommended planting with flowering shrubs that were adapted to the south-facing bluff and well-drained soil and ‘omitting all tender bedding plants.’
The 1903 report also suggests that a branch of the Queen Anne Boulevard should extend from the northwesterly corner of the Park along Olympic Place along the top of the bluff to meet the Grand Boulevard of the Queen Anne Boulevard system.
A service building, comfort station and tennis court were all added to the park in the 1940’s.
Sources: ‘Parks, Playgrounds and Boulevards of Seattle’, issued by the Board of Parks Commissioner, 1909; Don Sherwood files (Seattle Parks and Recreation)
It is located in the Lower Queen Anne neighborhood at 899 W Olympic Pl, 98119. It is 14.1 acres.