Schmitz Boulevard was designed by the Olmsted Brothers. It runs from Hiawatha Play-field to Schmitz Park. Built in 1909, is a short road that originally provided the only automobile entry to Schmitz park through an allée of trees. Olmsted Brothers consulted on the design of the roadway and park entry. The entry at 59th avenue Southwest and Southwest lander street once featured a log lintel resting on boulder posts; this was demolish in 1953, and in 1949 the main park entry was moved Southwest Admiral Way, as in the original Olmsted proposal.
Seattle’s Olmsted Parks
John Charles Olmsted of the Olmsted Brothers Landscape Architects firm developed a park and boulevard system for the City of Seattle between 1903 and 1912. In addition to the system plan, Olmsted and other landscape architects from the Olmsted Brothers firm also developed plans for individual landscapes, including the University of Washington campus, Volunteer Park, the Washington Park Arboretum, Hiawatha Park, and others.
The system plan and these individual plans share a number of Olmstedian characteristics:
- Parks and boulevards located on hilltops or along shorelines take advantage of views, incorporated as "borrowed landscapes" into the designs.
- In more formally designed parks, "rooms" consisted of sweeping lawns bordered by planting beds that featured multiple layers, from ground covers to mid-height shrubs to taller trees.
- Olmsted encouraged the preservation and use of native vegetation.
- Many parks incorporated playgrounds for Seattle's younger citizens.
- Paths and drives often follow curvilinear lines through the landscapes.
- Formal sections of boulevards are flanked by rows of trees, informal sections that travel through woodland parks incorporate the existing vegetation along the street borders.