Mount Baker Boulevard, a 0.8 mile-long linear park of 3.6 acres, was designed by the Olmsted Brothers. The boulevard is located in the Mount Baker Neighborhood, from S McClellan Street to Rainier Ave S.
Mount Baker Boulevard stretches from Lake Park Drive (which connects at its north end to Lake Washington Boulevard) southwesterly to Rainier Boulevard (where the road came within 1 block of the Rainer Avenue trolley). It also connects Mount Baker Park (adjacent to Lake Park Boulevard) to the Mount Baker Playfield (now the Franklin High School athletic fields). The curving road, with a 150’ right-of way, has a wide central green space between the paved lanes, as well as wide parking strips on each side. The boulevard, as well as Mount Baker Park, was built in 1908-9 built by the Hunter Improvement Company as part of the ‘Mount Baker Park’ residential subdivision designed by the Olmsted Bros in 1907.
Franklin High School was built in 1912 adjacent to the Boulevard. The center strip of the median was subsequently used for portable classrooms and extra parking by the school until a restoration in the 1940’s.
Sources: ‘Parks, Playgrounds and Boulevards of Seattle’, issued by the Board of Parks Commissioner, 1909; Don Sherwood files (Seattle Parks and Recreation)